Slow-Cooker Beef Vegetable Soup
The other day, I cooked one of my childhood favorites, Beef Vegetable Soup. Ann, my other mother, used to make the best beef vegetable soup when I was growing up. As soon as she came home from the store with stew beef, cans of Veg-all and tomato paste, I knew what was up– not only was she was about to cook her delicious vegetable soup, she was about to make us happy!
I’m sure she doesn’t even know this, but I used to love to watch her cook it. She would literally make magical deliciousness happen with only a few cans of vegetables, some tomato paste, and a flat of stew beef. Even til this day, I wonder what her secret was? What made her soup taste so glorious? What is it that makes it so good that even my sister-in-law has not been able to re-create her pot of yummy-ness? Well, guess what? I actually think I have done it, and aren’t you happy that I am sharing it with you! Plus, I thought that y’all just might need this Southern Girl’s Beef Vegetable Soup to make it through these crazy North Carolina winters.
Just so you know, I have tweaked Ann’s choice of ingredients just a bit. For instance, instead of using canned veggies like Veg-all (nothing against it), I use frozen veggies, I add red pepper flakes (you can add more or less), and instead of cooking it on the stove top, I cook mine in my slow cooker because you know I love slow cooking anything that can be slow cooked! Slow cooking just makes the meat so much more tender! Trust me, it’s just as delicious as it was when I was a little girl! By the way, I think the secret to making it great is Love!
**We like more corn and potatoes, so naturally I add more of these veggies, but you can sub your favorite veggies!**
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 2 hrs on high or 4 hrs on low
- Season cleaned beef with your favorite seasoning. I use Morton’s Nature’s Seasons on basically everything!
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the skillet to heat
- Add seasoned stew beef to the heated skillet. Brown the beef, not fully cook,
- Once beef is browned, add the medium chopped onion to the skillet.
- Pour browned beef and onions into your slow cooker.
- Add the mixed vegetables, the corn, and the chopped potatoes.
- Pour the 2 cups of beef stock over the beef and vegetables.
- Add the tomato paste, and stir it in until it is completely diluted and the your liquid is turning red.
- If the liquid does not cover the meat and veggies, pour in the water until it does.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low.
- Serve and enjoy!
Let me just add that this soup is best served hot and with warm yeast rolls or grilled cheese sandwiches. Either way, it does not disappoint! What’s more, it works well as freezer meal too! Take it from me, it will quickly become one of your family’s favorites!